Sunday, March 16, 2014

Heat Damaged Hair: My Horrible Story and Warning Against Heat

Today I come to you all with some devastating news. My naturally curly hair, that I had finally come to love, is now extremely heat damaged. I flat ironed my hair for a formal event and when I washed it, most of my curls were gone. I cried for about an hour because it took me so long to get my hair to the point where I loved it and I had grown attached to it. My hair was 90% curly; there was a little heat damage in the front that I was working on repairing and growing out. I have never been the type of person to get attached to my hair because I love changing up my looks. However, heat damage is very hard to repair. The only real option is to cut the damaged part. I had been toying with the idea of cutting my hair shorter because I love short hair. I'm just upset because I didn't even get to choose; the choice was made for me.

Right after going natural the 1st time

Right after going natural the first time. (Straightened) Loved the color but it was a lot of maintenance.

My hair after recovering from the heat damage. (February 2014)

Anyone that has worked to grow their hair or to get it healthier after it's been damage will feel my pain. This will be my second time transitioning from heat damaged hair. I know that it sounds like I should have learned from the first time but I thought I took the right precautions this time. I've flat ironed my hair before this time and it was fine. I don't know what went wrong to have caused such extreme damage after one time. This was my second time flat ironing it myself since being fully recovered from the first incident. I worked to get my hair back healthy and this happened again. I think my flat iron may have been set to high but I can't even remember. That has to be the reason.

My hair now. (March 2014) Curls at the ends, straight at the roots. I will have to let my hair grow first before cutting it.
As you can see, there is a huge difference in the tightness of my curls. Usually people recommend cutting off the damaged parts of your hair but my damage is at the roots so I don't even have that option. I just have to have patience and learn from this terrible mistake.

Anyway, I'll stop whining about it. I just had to release my frustration or I would have cried myself to sleep. I'm going to sleep with a deep conditioner in overnight and hopefully that helps a little. I've researched on youtube and google to figure out what steps to take next. I hope this post can help anyone with naturally curly and that you all can learn from my mistake. Flat ironing and heat can change your hair after just one use! Please be careful. Use very low heat and heat protectants for naturally curly hair. I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through this nightmare.

This is my steps/regimen to getting my hair back healthy:

1. Get a hair cut. (See pics below).
2. No Heat. Let hair air dry.
3. Alternate between protein treatments and moisturizing deep conditioners weekly.
4. Take hair vitamins.
5. Wear low maintenance styles. (Wash & Go's, Flexi Rod Sets)
6. Keep hair moisturized. (Overnight deep conditioner treatments, leave-in's, oils)

These are some styles that have been pinned to my "Hair" board on my pinterest for a while. I figured, I've been saving this for a while, I may as well put them to use. Which one do you think is best?


This is my number one option but this would be after I let my hair grow out a little. I know this is an extremely short style but I need the curls to be shiny and healthy in order for this style to work for me.


Some more styles I'm thinking about. Cuts, not colors.

So which one(s) do you like best? I'll post a picture when I get my hair cut. Fingers crossed that I love the result.

It sucks that I have to start over but hopefully I'll feel better about a new look soon.

If you've ever had heat damage, what did you do to get your hair back healthy?
Any tips are appreciated. If you read all of this, thank you. You are a trooper.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment